ECN's Technology Due Diligence scope covers six areas.Every assessment that we undertake is always conducted in close consultation with the investor and is tailored to the investor’s needs. You can find an explanation of these areas below.
- Feature assessment, evaluation of technology benefits, identification of additional benefits.
- Evaluation and background check of scientific claims
- Evaluation verifying whether the technology fits in with prevailing market standards and common practices
- Evaluation of ease of implementation in operating environment
2. Freedom to operate
- Evaluation of patent claims and conflicts (in conjunction with IP lawyer)
- Evaluation of potential barriers due to joint IP or foreground knowledge (in conjunction with IP lawyer)
- Backup for patent assessment with technological expertise
- Comparison with competing technologies
- Assessment of features of the technology in specific applications and markets
- Evaluation of assumptions behind market potential estimates
- Identification of additional opportunities and markets
- Identification of the flexibility and robustness of technology
- Identification of sensitivity to unforeseen changes in the operating environment
- Assessment of demonstration effort at various stages (lab scale, pilot scale, demo scale)
- Comparison of demonstration outcome of the technology with application scope: have the application-relevant parameters been shown to be under control?
- General assessment of energy payback time and environmental life-cycle performance
- Comparison of demonstration features of the technology with business model requirements
- Evaluation of assumptions regarding CAPEX, OPEX, maintenance
- Risk assessment regarding scale-up of technology, identification of mitigating measures
- Feasibility of large-scale production
- Where relevant: lab assessment of critical materials or components (e.g. biomass feedstock characterisation, photovoltaic cell testing, etc.)
- Assessment of potential growth of primary and auxiliary markets
- Evaluation of proposed R&D programme
Want to know more?
If you are interested or you would like more information about our services, please contact us.